top of page


Choosing Mandarin Immersion

School Visit
Choosing MI@RWC

Step 1: Learn more about our program and meet our community.

  • Sign-up for one of our school tours this winter and spring. Tours are on Thursday mornings, starting at 8:45 am. 

  • Come to a meet-and-greet event or parent panel with current MI parents, held approximately monthly. The next event is a playdate on November 1, 2023 at 10 am PST. Details to follow shortly.

  • Otherwise, email us at or the district at

Step 2: Register your child through the Redwood City School District. Make sure to check the district timeline for deadlines, and follow instructions for a School of Choice

Step 3: If applying for K-8th grade, fill out a School of Choice application for the Mandarin Immersion program. TK students do not need to complete this step.

For kinder and 1st grade, no prior Mandarin experience is required. To enter MI program in 2nd grade and above, there will be a verbal and written test. To schedule a test prior to enrollment, please contact (650) 482-2200.


Registration FAQ

What are the school hours?

  • TK: 8:15am - 1pm

  • Kindergarten:

    • Early Birds: 8:15am-1pm​

    • Later Gators: 9am-2pm

  • 1st - 5th Grade: 8:15am-2:30pm​​

Do you accept students who live outside of Redwood City School District?

No, students must live within the boundaries of Redwood City School District. Please contact Melanie Davenport at 650-482-2237 or for any further questions regarding enrollment.

Do I need to fill out a school of choice application each year if my child is already in the program? 

No. If your child is already a student in the MI program, whether you are an interdistrict transfer or RCSD family, you do not need to fill out a new School of Choice application each year. 

What documents do I need to submit to enter the School of Choice lottery?


The full list of documents required for registration is listed on the district website. However, to enter the School of Choice lottery, you must provide proof of residence along with your child's birth certificate or passport while the other documents, such as immunization record, can wait until after the registration deadline. Have more questions? Please visit the RCSD FAQ page.

Do I have to register separately for Odyssey Preschool and PlayThrive's after school program?

Yes. Odyssey Preschool and PlayThrive are privately run programs located on the Orion and Mandarin Immersion school campus. 

  • Odyssey Preschool: Email to schedule a tour and/or get an application.

  • PlayThrive: Reach out to to learn how to register your child.

Sign-up HERE for a virtual info session!

bottom of page